Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 2 - 365 Day Juicing Challenge

I have to admit, I am kind of excited about this one. I LOVE beets! It may ever border on a slight addiction. ha ha. SERIOUSLY! These juicy vegetables have such a deep vibrant flavour whether fresh and raw, cooked, or pickled... don't even get me started.

I love growing them, I love their tops steamed with a balsamic reduction on them, I love them in smoothies, I even love the way they paint my hands with that amazing deep purple-red. I won't mention what else they are responsible for colouring... just don't forget that you ate them the day before, you are not dying. ha ha. 

Beets are a rich source of iron, potassium, niacin, copper, and vitamin C, folic acid, zinc, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus. Beet tops are a high in Vitamin A, iron, and calcium... Such a delicious staple to add to your families diet. 

Try steaming them for about 20 minutes then putting them in a roasting dish drizzle with a little maple syrup, lightly dust with cinnamon and roast for another 10 minutes, top with either roasted raw pumpkin seeds or chopped up raw almonds... almost like eating candy. 

One Day I will master the art of amazing food photography. ha ha

Beet Basic
2 beets (beetroot)
3 carrots
2 apples
2 Valencia or blood oranges
1/2 inch of ginger root

*I also added a handful of fresh blueberries, just cause I love blueberries as much as beets. tee hee hee.

This made enough for all four of us with the magic Hurom blender, however with our old quick grind it would have only done enough for two. 

Juicing is an excellent way to get those child avoided foods into your little monkeys. Truth be told, I am NOT one to just grab a veggie and nibble. I actually have to force myself to eat raw veggies (sounds like a conversation between my Little monkey and I in my own head... I understand now where she gets her stubborn determination. lol). Juicing and smoothies are the perfect way for us raw veggie avoiders (I am aware this word is grammatically incorrect, ha ha) to get an amazing dose of natures most bountiful vitamins and nutrients into our amazing bodies. 

I also added spring water to this mix to dilute it a little bit. Beets are a superpower veggie and can rock my body a little to much, especially after the holiday abuse my system endured. 

This beautiful mix of flavours and colours is an energy boosting, detoxifying, immunity building, skin and digestive supporting machine. 

My photos can only get better, right?! 


Hope you enjoy! 

Renee 
xxx

No comments: