Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Minty Beta Boomer... and Self-Compassion

As a mom you run in so many different directions in any given moment.
Right now I am trying to type this blog post, warming homemade broccoli soup, soaking my juicing machine, waiting for pizza to finish cooking, in between laundry loads, and simmering dinner in the crock pot.  After I finish all that it is back to homeschooling, trying to keep the kids quiet while the hubby works from home today, and then on to two projects I have to complete for work (deadlines). Needless to say we forget to take care of our selves, find the moments in between the chaos for self compassion. 

If I have run out of energy to completely 100% engage with the kids for an hour and play a game, it means that I have not taken the time to engage with myself first.  I don't think I am alone here.  :-).  Whether you homeschool or not, whether you work, are a stay at home mom, or a work from home mom.  It is all too easy to forget how important it is too put yourself first.  If you at all like me, I have a lot of guilt for even thinking about doing it. I know how important it is as a mom to put your own health first, but doing it can be really hard.  If you aren't present, healthy, and on top of things everyday who would give the kids their vitamins, healthy meals, do the cleaning, lesson planning and teaching, who would snuggle them when they are sick or kiss there little knees when they scrape them... 

It is a lesson in self care. It is realizing how important it is for you to be functioning optimally.  We can want health and happiness for our children and those we love. Why is it so hard for us as mothers to want the same for ourselves.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH LOVING YOURSELF FIRST. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB YOU HAVE.  

Children mirror their love for themselves by how we love ourselves... they see it all. It is so important moms, that you, no we start taking the moments to sit with a good book and hot cup of tea or wine and cherish a little bit of time for ourselves whatever that may look like for you. Go to the gym and have a good workout, take in a yoga class or heck go on a holiday with a few other moms, or alone.  You are taking the small moments, and luxuries for yourself to give you the strength and energy to give more fully to those you love more than life itself.  Love yourself enough to care for yourself, teach your children how worthy they are of their own love.  I am not saying I am good at this either, I am saying it is something I work at.  I know my tank is running on empty, and for me sometimes I need to just be told to do it. If you are like me, I am telling you today to go out there and take your moment however big or small it may be, whatever it may look like. Book a retreat or a weekend away, go be creative for an hour, do yoga, go meet a friend for tea, doing something you love, celebrate you and your passions even if just for a moment.  Your family will be fine while you do it and your children will one day thank you for teaching them how to love themselves.

And trust me, the laundry will still be there when you get your head back in the game ;-)

*There was a picture intended for here, but wouldn't you know, the day I get a perfect food shot... I can't get it to upload. lol. Full moon tomorrow, going to blame it on that. ha ha.*

Minty Beta Boomer
4 Carrots
2 apples
1/2 golden beet
few leaves of fresh mint

Cause it just felt right today. ;-) 

Happy Hump Day

Also, What does self compassion and care look like for you other moms out there? Please share... :-)

Renee 
xxx


No comments: